When yum goes hum

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 02:09:40 -0400

Alright, yum strikes in again. I using yum-2.0.7-3.0.yd.fr from
freshrpms on a fresh 'complete' install (2h53m ago). As usual, I ran yum
for updates and install mplayer then gkrellm-themes. Updates mostly goes
fine (galeon complained about mozilla-35:1.2.1(something)this is not
available) I erased galeon then updates succeeded. Next step is mplayer.
This is where it all start... What does mean these error? Is it
dangerous for my installation's well-being?

[root@virgule andrew]# yum install mplayer

Unable to find pid
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 - ppc - freshrpms

..then yum goes on normally. Next situation: no 'pid' error this time,
instead, it 'segmentation fault'...then both at once!

[root@virgule andrew]# yum -y install gkrellm-themes
<<<sniped>>>
Resolving dependencies
..Segmentation fault
[root@virgule andrew]# yum -y install gkrellm-themes

Unable to find pid
<<<sniped>>>
Segmentation fault
[root@virgule andrew]# yum clean

Unable to find pid
<<<sniped>>>
Cleaning packages and old headers

it goes on and on and on. Googling 'yum Unable to find pid' I found some
Fedora people have/had the same problem(s). It has been suggested to run
'rpm --rebuilddb' as root. It seam to have corrected the problem even if
I yet another error:

[root@virgule andrew]# rpm --rebuilddb
error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#    1426 blob size(27280): BAD, 8 +
16 * il(65) + dl(2610332)
[root@virgule andrew]# yum -y install gkrellm-themes

Unable to find pid
<<<sniped>>>
I will do the following:
[install: gkrellm-themes 2.1.8-2.fr.noarch]
Downloading Packages
<<<sniped>>>
Installed:  gkrellm-themes 2.1.8-2.fr.noarch
Transaction(s) Complete