OT: Is Linux Unix??

Mike Parson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 1 08:24:01 2004

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 07:25:29PM -0700, Longman, Bill wrote:
> Release 10, currently in beta release, comes with the GNU software
> integrated into it, to the point that CDE, the desktop manager
> included with Solaris since it's early releases, has been replaced
> with KDE, a desktop manager developed under Linux.
>
> CDE is actually a late arrival for Sun. They've always shipped
> OpenLook as their window manager and only since about 1995 or so did
> they decide to ship CDE with their OS. If they are distributing KDE
> with Solaris 10, that's a flip-flop from their embracing Gnome. I
> never understood why anyone would use CDE over OpenLook but I can
> understand going with KDE.

CDE was the result of the major UNIX vendors (Sun, HP, IBM, SGI)
agreeing on certain standards, the idea was to make a unified UNIX
desktop that any user would be comfortable with, regardless of the
underlying OS.  Unfortunately, CDE feels like it was designed by
committee, rather than by usability engineeers.

For my $.02, I run evilwm (evilwm.sf.net).

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org