[OT] KDE vs. Gnome (was: Is Linux Unix? (KDE))

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 1 08:28:02 2004

Mr. Maier:

Francis X. Maier wrote:
> Slightly OT: Just for the heck of it, which do most of the list folks
> use, KDE or Gnome? I've tried both, but Gnome has always struck me as
> lighter and easier to use.

No one else has bitten on this thread, so I thought I would throw in my
two pence.

I have used both KDE and Gnome in both Yellow Dog Linux 3.x and in
Mandrake 9.2 on a PC. Since KDE is the default on both computers, I have
used KDE more than I have used Gnome. I have also used BlackBox
extensively. To me, KDE and Gnome are interchangeable, but BlackBox is
more "fun" (in the geeky sense).

To be honest, I do not see much difference between KDE and Gnome. Either
one runs the applications from the other, so application choice is not
limiting. Both have nice graphical interfaces, decent file browsers
(both of which crash equally often), unremarkable interface widgets, and
so on. Both have a bewildering array of options and tweaks (that I
usually ignore). In my mind, the most significant differences seem to be
in the organization of the items in the Kicker menu. In fact, if I turn
on the monitor of my computer, it is usually several minutes before I
remark to myself, "Oh, I must be in Gnome," or "Oh, right, KDE has this
Control Panel hidden *here*."

It used to be that KDE used some proprietary libraries and such, and was
therefore not included in several distributions, but that is no longer
an issue since the qt libraries (whatever *those* are) now have a
non-commercial license.

Reviews of the very newest versions of Gnome seem to indicate that it is
taking a new direction with several interface items, including opting
for a "spatial browser" (which I favor, and many others abhor). I *like*
the notion that Gnome has a more integrated and enforced set of user
interface guidelines, but many of the programs I use routinely (xpdf,
xmms, etc.) use their own interfaces. Time will tell.

For the longest time I used BlackBox because it was less resource
intensive. I recommend trying it to anyone who wants a *different* user
interface experience (BlackBox is not for the shy of command line,
though, and demands a three button mouse). There were a few routine
tasks I could not do in BlackBox (honestly, I do not remember which
ones), so I switched back to KDE. Or Gnome. I don't remember which. :-)

Anyone have other, more reasoned opinions?

Best wishes,
Clint