Linux text editor = or > BBEdit

sloopy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 3 20:12:01 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 17:19, Clinton MacDonald wrote:
> Mr. Brown:
>
> Christopher Brown wrote:
> > I'm in search of a BBEdit replacement.
> > [...]
> >
> > What does the PPC Linux world offer that is close to
> > BBEdit? [...] I want color coded text, massive search
> > and replace with or without grep, smart application
> > that recognizes different coding languages (html,
> > pearl, c, java, etc.) and can deal with them like
> > BBEdit can. The GUI is important here too. The least
> > of it's shining acheivements is it's easy to use,
> > unobtrusive GUI.
>

> emacs (or xemacs) and vi/vim have become exceedingly powerful (and
> exceedingly arcane and complex). emacs, for instance, can do more than
--------------------
> just about any text editor you have ever used, and as much as some
> entire operating systems (look for "games" in the built-in help system

vi didnt get arcane... it was always arcane ;') and emacs does have
every thing including the kitchen sink...

but for a replacement BBEdit in linux? i cant really think of any... i
have used BBEdit for years, as my former boss used to say 'BBEdit can
make text files do a back flip with a full twist through a flaming hoop
on a high wire in the middle of a hurricane' i thought this was
humorous... as he didnt know how to use BBEdit as well as me...

but as for replacements... i would say XEmacs would be your best bet...
has all the features you ask for... i personally use vim when not on mac
os... as for now i use BBEdit via MOL... BBEdit is 90% of the reason i
run MOL ( http://www.maconlinux.com/ )... (the other 10% is becuase of
the web with stoopid flash animations for site navigation...)

sloopy.

i am just a sloopy... because i can...   standard sig #31