modprobe

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 12 09:38:01 2004

<snip>
> Problem is when I type modprobe hfsplus or any other thing,
> it says command not found.  Now I am running 2.4.22-2f, so I would think I
> do have this comnmand.
</snip>

First, check if modprobe is present in your system (I cant see why its
wouldnt be there...)

]$ whereis modprobe

If it is, you will get this output:
modprobe: /sbin/modprobe /usr/share/man/man8/modprobe.8.gz

Now we know it is in /sbin/
(modprobe.8.gx is a manual page. Type 'man modprobe' to read it..)

Now let see if /sbin/ is in your PATH variable. This define WHERE the
system will look for when you type a command in a terminal. This is
writen in '.bash_provile' file

'cd' to your home directory, then
]$ cat .bash_profile

Look for this line, '/sbin:' must be present to access /sbin commands
when you type them in a bash (terminal)

PATH=$PATH:$HOME xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry, I just dont recall what is the default PATH setup, but there is
mine anyway. it is setup to allow access to most, if not all, system's
commands:

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin/

Modify your '.bash_profile' file using whatever text editor you
like...im not sure if you have to do as root or not... whatever, if no
you can't then its yes you must! ;)

Now modprobe hfsplus should do better than 'command not found'

-Andrew