Kernel question

David Hacker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 12 17:04:03 2004

If you notice most distros include a copy of the .config file in the
boot directory as config-2.4.5 for instance.  I am not sure the reason
that is just what I have always heard to do.  I think that the default
config when building a new kernel comes from this file if it is
present, but I am not positive on that.
I find it is much easier to determine what to keep and what not to keep
if you use make xconfig.  This gives a fairly good description of each
option and what it does as well as whether it is recomended.
Well, good luck folks.  Happy kernel building.

David C. Hacker, DVM
212 N 1st St #2
New Salem, ND 58563
(701) 843-8179
On Jun 12, 2004, at 12:22 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> David Hacker wrote:
>> On Jun 11, 2004, at 11:25 AM, Jason Warm wrote:
>>> David,
>>>   Thanks for the help.  Am now running the 2.6.5 kernel.  Just a few
>>>  more
>>> questions though if you (or anyone else reading this thread) could
>>> help
>>> me out with.
>>>
>>> 1.  While the kernel is up and running fine, when I downloaded it
>>> from  the
>>> ppckernels.org and extracted.  The modules directory appears to be