Kernel question

Jason Warm yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 13 12:03:03 2004

--=-5OxG5c5DZlJx7IPMesLw

On this note, I would like to use make xconfig since I have been
unsuccessful otherwise.  When I try to use xconfig though I get this
message....any ideas?

* Unable to find the QT installation. Please make sure that the
* QT development package is correctly installed and the QTDIR
* environment variable is set to the correct location.
*
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

Jason

On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 19:02, David Hacker wrote:

> If you notice most distros include a copy of the .config file in the
> boot directory as config-2.4.5 for instance.  I am not sure the reason
> that is just what I have always heard to do.  I think that the default
> config when building a new kernel comes from this file if it is
> present, but I am not positive on that.
> I find it is much easier to determine what to keep and what not to keep
> if you use make xconfig.  This gives a fairly good description of each
> option and what it does as well as whether it is recomended.
> Well, good luck folks.  Happy kernel building.
>
> David C. Hacker, DVM
> 212 N 1st St #2
> New Salem, ND 58563
> (701) 843-8179
> On Jun 12, 2004, at 12:22 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:
>
> > David Hacker wrote:

> >> If the module folder is empty then they probably built everything
> >> into  the kernel and didn't build any modules.  Jjust copy it over to
> >>  /lib/modules/2.6.5 anyway.
> >> Not right off hand.
> >> It isn't very hard.  Just download the source and copy it to
> >> /usr/src.   Then tar-xvzf ??????? to extract the file.  Then if this
> >> is going to be  your main kernel make a symbolic link like ln -s
> >> /usr/src/linux-2.6.5???? /usr/src/linux.  Then cd linux.  Then make
> >> xconfig or make menuconfig.  This is where you select which features
> >> you want and don't want in your kernel.  It will start with a config
> >> matching the running kernel and you can change from there.  Deciding
> >> if  you want things built in the kernel or as modules.  After than
> >> type  make vmlinux modules modules_install.  Once done you have to
> >> copy  vmlinux, System.map, and .config to the boot dir.
> > I second most of these instructions. I just wonder why you copy the
> > .config to /boot as well. It is certainly not necessary to run the
> > kernel. Do you do this to have a backup ?
> >
> > Additionally, while these instructions are indeed easy, the hard part
> > for first time kernel builders is no doubt selecting which features to
> > keep and reject. There are so many options, a lot of which are for x86
> > users only, and a lot of them have quite cryptic names for the average
> > mac user.
> >
> > I know to some degree by now which options are useful for me and my
> > machine) and which ones are not. But unfortunatly, newcomers will have
> > to use a little trial and error and lots of documentation reading
> > (like the information that comes in the Documentation directory of the
> > kernel's source, the help messages in the config tool, websites,
> > google,...)
> >
> > But I don't want to scare away anyone from trying, it's worth the
> > effort.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Geert

--=-5OxG5c5DZlJx7IPMesLw

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
On this note, I would like to use make xconfig since I have been unsuccessful otherwise.&nbsp; When I try to use xconfig though I get this message....any ideas?<BR>
<BR>
* Unable to find the QT installation. Please make sure that the<BR>
* QT development package is correctly installed and the QTDIR<BR>
* environment variable is set to the correct location.<BR>
*<BR>
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck] Error 1<BR>
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2<BR>
<BR>
Jason<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<PRE><FONT COLOR="#737373" SIZE="3"><I>If you notice most distros include a copy of the .config file in the