Installing YDL 3.0 on a Mac G3

Ben Ricker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 14 16:33:01 2004

--Apple-Mail-1--576537263

You must install OS 9.x or below and use BootX (or quik, if you are=20
daring). You cannot install it on an Old World Mac without a Mac OS=20
installed first.

Ben Ricker

On Jun 14, 2004, at 8:07 PM, Jeffrey Mannion wrote:

> I got an old Mac G3 (350 mhz 256mb RAM) =A0that was running OS 10.2.8 =
,=20
> but I formatted it, trying to install Yellow Dog. I currently have NO=20=

> operating system on my machine. While attempting to install YDL,=20
> during the partitioning stage, I select auto partition, and it locks=20=

> and restarts saying I do not have a Mac bootstrap partition. I am=20
> unsure how to fix this problem, and if there even is a way to fix it.=20=

> I bought the mac used and have no discs for OS X, and I heard that it=20=

> was necessary to have a mac os on the machine to boot YDL?? I do not=20=

> want to run mac os, but if I have to install it into a small partition=20=

> and dual boot the two I would accept that. If that is the only=20
> possibility, is there a cheap way to get an older mac os that would=20
> allow me to boot a linux distro (preferably ydl)?? Thanks in advance=20=

> if you have any suggestions!!
>
> =A0
>
> -Jeff

--Apple-Mail-1--576537263

You must install OS 9.x or below and use BootX (or quik, if you are
daring). You cannot install it on an Old World Mac without a Mac OS
installed first.

Ben Ricker

Mac G3 (350 mhz 256mb RAM) =A0that was running OS 10.2.8 , but I
formatted it, trying to install Yellow Dog. I currently have NO
operating system on my machine. While attempting to install YDL,
during the partitioning stage, I select auto partition, and it locks
and restarts saying I do not have a Mac bootstrap partition. I am
unsure how to fix this problem, and if there even is a way to fix it.
I bought the mac used and have no discs for OS X, and I heard that it
was necessary to have a mac os on the machine to boot YDL?? I do not
want to run mac os, but if I have to install it into a small partition
and dual boot the two I would accept that. If that is the only
possibility, is there a cheap way to get an older mac os that would
allow me to boot a linux distro (preferably ydl)?? Thanks in advance
if you have any suggestions!!</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

=
ly>

=
mily>