How Much HD Space for Linux?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 14 22:38:01 2004

Ed:

Ed Sutherland wrote:
> For the first time in years, I've run up against a full partition
> -- even new mail cannot be saved. My Linux partition is 100% full.

That seems like a problem, perhaps not entirely your fault (see below).

> How much space does a reasonable desktop Linux distro need? (I
> don't mean bare minimum, but a comfortable amount for everyday
> usage.) I had given Linux 6gigs.

The Yellow Dog site says that a "workstation" installation should take
2-2.5 GB, while an "Everything" installation is 5 GB. Where are you in
that continuum?

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/faq/drive_space.shtml>

I know you like to experiment by installing new software and desktop
environments -- have your eyes been larger than your drive? :-) Maybe it
is time for "yum remove...."

The other possibility is that some log file or files have started
growing uncontrollably. Dig around in your directories and see if there
are log items you can discard.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint