How Much HD Space for Linux?

Ed Sutherland yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 15 07:46:01 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:37:06 -0500, Clinton MacDonald wrote:

> The Yellow Dog site says that a "workstation" installation should
> take 2-2.5 GB, while an "Everything" installation is 5 GB. Where are
> you in that continuum?

I started at the "workstation" level, but as time passes, I added
packages for CUPS, firewalls, more Gnome front-ends, graphics, etc. I
also upped the "eye-candy" level in order to give a more pleasing
appearance (font antialiasing, for instance.)

My next install (yes, I'll need to reinstall) will need to include some
way to monitor disk free and swap size so that I have a better handle
on my resources before installing another package.

I also need to learn how to easily pare down my distro to the tasks
where I spend 99% of my computing time: e-mail, writing, online
research, printing and contact management. I don't run a server. I
don't manage a network. I don't code software. I don't play games. I
don't listen to MP3s/CDs all day. I don't create graphics.

I went a bit 'hog-wild' with the last install and included development
packages. I'd like to develop some software, but in reality don't have
the time. I don't need all the multimedia packages, save XMMS and Gimp.
I would like to avoid having two major desktop environments -- Gnome
*and* KDE are a bit overkill.

> I know you like to experiment by installing new software and desktop
> environments -- have your eyes been larger than your drive? :-) Maybe
> it is time for "yum remove...."

I do like to experiment and probably went a bit overboard in packages.
The trouble is I can't even get into my system (the X side, at least)
because GDM can't write whatever little file is needed to start up a
window manager. Guess it's time to wipe and restart.