Installing YDL 3.0 on a Mac G3 [Addendum]

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 15 05:23:02 2004

Am 15.06.2004 um 12:40 schrieb Alexander Holst:

> Not neccessarily. It is possible to run OldWorld Macs completely MacOS
> free - thats how I boot all my YDL machines here at work, as well as
> at home. I have never encountered any problems so far (see more
> details here: http://apple.fh-pforzheim.de/Linux/index.html) follow
> the links at the bottom for Boot Volume setup. You only need Mac OS to
> get a partition up and running with miboot. On the above mentioned
> page, you'll find a link to a disk image of such a partition with
> miboot and the boot kernel for YDL 3.0 [I haven't had a chance to
> upgrade it to YDL 3.01 as of yet). To install YDL 3.0, you have to
> manually select the "install-YDL-3.0" target. To select the different
> targets, hit the space bare when you see the landscape with TUX. You
> will have to edit the yaboot.conf file, located in the "System Folder"
> manually to suit your needs after installation, to reflect the proper
> root partition.
>
> In case you have a B&W G3, which I assume, otherwise the YDL CDs
> wouldn't boot, and you wouldn't be able to get into the installer
> without any sort of a helper, such as miboot, actually you do not need
> to install any sort of Mac OS on the machine, as YDL installes a
> bootloader, yaboot, that loads the kernel directly, without any help
> of Mac OS. This actually is the preferred method to boot on NewWorld
> machines, as you do not have to deal with any residues left from Mac
> OS (video, L2 cache ...)

I just double checked my previous post.

In any case someone is desperate enough to use the contents of the
miboot disk image that can be found at the above mentioned link, PLEASE
DO NOT USE THE YABOOT VERSION CONTAINED ON THAT IMAGE ANY MORE!

It is far outdated and has evolved dramatically since. I have just
looked into the disk image and realized that this version of yaboot
will not work properly on most systems any more!

However, miboot will work as stated on OldWorld machines and will
provide a boot method for a totally Mac OS free machine.

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst [at] fh-pforzheim [dot] de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040