Installing YDL 3.0 on a Mac G3

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 15 10:26:01 2004

Hi Jeff,

Am 15.06.2004 um 17:19 schrieb Jeffrey Mannion:

> Hey Alex, thanks a lot for your help. I did the partitioning via Pdisk
> and got the bootstrap that YDL was complaining about. After going
> through the rest of the install process, however, the YDL installer
> hung
> when it began to install packages.

I know, that a lot op people think that the installer hangs when it
gets to the point of installing the packages - but usually it doesn't.
It takes a while to copy stutt to the disk and resolve dependancies of
packages. During that stage it just sits there without telling you
anything about it. It also depends on the CPU, how long this will take.
I remember waiting some five to ten minutes on some machine, before it
actually starts installing the packages.

Take your time and wait - if it takes longer than 10 or 15 minutes,
then I guess it really got stuck - it never happened for me though, at
least not at that stage.

> I then tried Linux Mandrake PPC 9.1,
> and went through the installer like a breeze, but then upon reboot was
> left just seeing the Mac folder with a question mark. I went into the
> firmware console, and typed 'setenv boot-device ultra1:2,//:tbxi' to
> which it responded 'ok', but upon a reboot, I still had no operating
> system. Any suggestions?? Im pretty baffled here.

I am not really familiar with Mandrake and its boot process. The only
thing that surprises me is the "ultra1:2,//:tbxi"

First of all, where did you get the "ultra" part from? Is there some
sort of a PCI disk controller in the machine? Second, the slashes
should be backslashes! \\ A proper boot device line looks like (this is
taken from a 400 MHz G4, so it will not work in your case, just to
illustrate):

boot-device     pci2/ata-6@D/@0:9,\\:tbxi

I simply reads like: device:partition,fileToLoad - So in this case we
have an ATA controller on PCI bus 2 [pci2/ata-6@D] with a disk attached
as master [/@0] and want to load a file of type tbxi off the 9th
partition [:9,\\:tbxi]

Did you add any disks? If not, simply boot into OF by holding down
<cmd><alt><O><F>. At the prompt type "printenv" to see the actual
values and the defaults. Usually, "hd" is an alias to the first disk in
the machine and should work fine. The default value for booting a Mac
with an Apple Operating System on it is:

boot-device     hd:,\\:tbxi

In order to avoid several reboot attempts, you can use a command like
"boot hd:,\\:tbxi" at the promt, instead of setting the boot-device
variable and reboot - saves some time :). The boot-device variable is
only used for initially booting up the machine or rebooting it. For
now, untill you found the right parameters, try booting from within OF
with:

"boot device:partition,\\:tbxi"

The device part can either be a full OF path to the actual device or an
alias (i.g. hd, cd, enet ...), the partition part should be the number
of the partition, where your installer put the boot loader (I have no
clue, how Mandrake deals with that). Assuming that Mandrake installed
the boot loader on the second partition of your disk, maybe a command
like:

"boot hd:2,\\:tbxi"

could work for you. If it does, next time you reboot, don't forget to
write that into the "boot device" variable, by booting into OF and
typint "setenv boot-device hd:2,\\:tbxi" at the prompt. Check with
"printenv" to see if changes were written properly.

To get a bit more info about OpenFirmware and booting from within OF
try this:

http://www.netneurotic.de/mac/openfirmware.html

It also has some information on how to boot with a bootloader installed
in the MasterRecord Block of a disk (quik utilizes that feature). Some
more gengeral information about OF can be found here:

http://diveintoosx.org/OpenFirmware.html

Hope that helps,
Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst [at] fh-pforzheim [dot] de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040