I'm Stuck

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 16 13:02:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 07:21, Arch and Cath wrote:
> The ZIP is SCSI and I have tried it both ways.    I give up!  I bought a
> 10GB ATA drive on ebay the other day for $22.  We shall see!
>
> Arch

You'll be fine with an ATA. Make sure you put the / partition on it as
its the only one that really matter.... For your convenience (and for
reference purpose), I will provide you with my /etc/fstab setup and
partitioning scheme, at the end of this message. After anaconda does its
stuffs, you will reboot and get another error, but this time you will be
asked to 'enter root password for maintenance'. I used 'vi' to switch
all 'sdb' for 'sba' into /etc/fstab, exit vi, exit 'maintenance mode'
and an automatic reboot will happen et voila! YellowDog is fully
operational.

Using 'vi' is kinda tricky.... Use the arrow keys to navigate, make the
changes the usual way until you are satisfied then hit <ESC>. save
changes by typing ':w!' and exit with ':q!' ***You MUST use the : and
the ! symbols***

--------
[andrew@virgule rc.d]$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hdc7    /         ext3     defaults       1 1
none         dev/pts   evpts    gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hdc8    /home     ext3     defaults       1 2
none         /proc     proc     defaults       0 0
none         /dev/shm  tmpfs    defaults       0 0
/dev/sda6    /usr      ext3     defaults       1 2
/dev/sda7    swap      swap     defaults       0 0
/dev/cdrom   /mnt/cdrom      udf,iso9660 noauto,users,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/jaz     /mnt/jaz        auto    defaults,noauto,users,rw 0 0
/dev/floppy  /mnt/floppy     auto    defaults,noauto,users,rw 0 0

--------
/dev/hdc7 -> 1.0 GB
/dev/hdc8 -> 2.0 GB
/dev/sda6 -> 7.7 GB
/dev/sda7 -> SWAP (640 MB)
--------

You did good choosing a 10GB drive. Mine is only 4GB so I had to
re-install everything several times before I finally got a setup that is
fine for me. I would have put everything into the ATA and use the SCSI
only for /home but 4GB is simply not enough room ;)

Good Luck!
-Andrew