Yum/HD issues

Julian Opificius yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 18 14:35:02 2004

--Apple-Mail-3--238057805

On Jun 18, 2004, at 13:33, Brian Whitesides wrote:

> I am running YDL 3.01 on a Wallstreet G3. =A0My computer works just =
fine=20
> for what I need of it, but the one persistent problem is the lack of=20=

> hard drive space. =A0A 2 GB HD is pretty pathetic, I know, but I can=92t=
=20
> help but think how much of what=92s installed is pure clutter. =A0
>
> =A0
>
> Doing a =93yum list installed=94 it comes up with tons of stuff I =
don=92t=20
> even recognize, and when I go through the painstaking process of =93yum=20=

> info [package]=94 I occasionally find something useless for my needs =
and=20
> erase it. =A0However this takes forever and most packages are only a =
few=20
> 100 kb anyway. =A0
>
> =A0
>
> Does anyone have any tips/tricks for a better way of removing packages=20=

> that they don=92t have much use for? =A0Or a way to organize the yum=20=

> installed list by size so I don=92t waste my time with the small =
stuff?

> =A0
>
> -Brian

Brian,
Assuming you've already done just a minimal install, you are not going=20=

to be able to remove enough to give you a usable system. Every day you=20=

have the system on it will accumulate log files, and the data you=20
create yourself. Trying to nitpick a few hundred k here and there is=20
wasting your time and will only delay the inevitable, never mind the=20
possibility of breaking something. You will have wasted your time, got=20=

nowhere, and still have to buy a new HD at the end of it. Go buy a used=20=

drive for thirty bucks and save yourself the heartache.

Start thinking about the value of your time as if you were paying=20
yourself, and you will quickly realize that buying another HD is the=20
cheapest solution.

Julian.=

--Apple-Mail-3--238057805