How to configure ALSA?

John M Phillips yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 20 13:45:01 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Sander Nagtegaal wrote:

> Hey , instead of using OSS I'd like to use ALSA. How to configure alsa on my
> Imac 400mhz DV with yellowdog 3.0.1?

I am NOT an expert, but I am using ALSA with a 17 Powerbook, kernal=2.4.25
and a 2-channel M-Audio USB analog to digital converter.  Here is what
works for my setup.

1) Download, unpack, and build the following:
	alsa-driver
	alsa-lib
	alsa-utils
   These must be built against the current kernel, but the steps are the
   usual:
	  ./configure --with-cards=usb-audio --with-sequencer=yes,
	    (for alsa-driver)
	  ./configure
	     (for alsa-lib and alsa-utils)
	  make,
	  make install.

   You will need to verify that the alsa-driver has a driver for your
   physical device.

2) Edit /etc/modules.conf

   Here are the pertinent lines in my /etc/modules.conf for ALSA with
   usb:

   	# # # # # Alsa entries
   	alias char-major-116 snd
	alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio

    If this does not work, remove all sound related modules:

	modprobe -r <module name without .o>

    Then use modprobe <alsa device driver> to reload your alsa module.

That is about it.  What this does not handle is enabling both the internal
speakers on the laptop and the external USB.  At this point I keep two
separate modules.conf, 	and swap config files and re-boot to switch.

John M Phillips