Can't boot to Linux after PRAM Zap - More Info

Olaf Olson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 20 20:47:02 2004

I managed to do some more research, with a little brain wracking. The
words Open Firmware came to me, as if a message from the ether. I hunted
down some references to that and found the Command-Option-O-F that
booted me into Open Firmware.

I studied further and found such vital information as this:

boot hd:,\\:tbxi

Will always boot, IF you have a legitimate boot device, with a
legitimate bootable partition and you haven't messed with any of the
things in Open Firmware that can kill you.

which just gets you back to the MacOS. Even some suggestion that booting
with the spacebar held down would switch to the next OS that hadn't been
used in the previous boot.

ericpeden also included a somewhat cryptic message in his yaboot FAQ:

http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/yaboot-faq.shtml#what_is_of

boot path-to-bootstrap-device:X,\\yaboot

Since I discovered that hd is an alias for the path-to-bootstrap-device
and X is defined as the partition on which the boot is installed, AND X
can be simply left out of the entire equation when it is already defined
in O-F, the command:

boot hd:,\\yaboot

SHOULD restart, with YDL as a choice and everything should be hunky-dory.

Of course, that's only true when you haven't missed a VERY important
piece of info, as I obviously have, because this still doesn't get me
anywhere other than MacOSX 10.2.8, where my USB mouse (any USB mouse) is
still not recognized.

Maybe this info can help someone diagnose what I have done and advise me
on recovery?

Thanks,

Olaf