Can't boot to Linux after PRAM Zap - More Info

bruce woller yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 20 21:05:01 2004

Olaf:

I don't think you can leave out the X factor in 'boot hd:,\\yaboot'  -
I think you need X to be the partition of your bootstrap partition that
contains yaboot.  Here is the partition map of one of my disks
containing yaboot it is on partition 8:

[c-24-8-163-18:/Users/bwoller] bwoller# pdisk /dev/rdisk2 -dump
/dev/rdisk2  map block size=512
    #:                 type name                 length   base     (
size )
    1:  Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1
    2:       Apple_Driver43*Macintosh                54 @ 64
    3:       Apple_Driver43*Macintosh                74 @ 118
    4:   Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh               512 @ 192
    5:        Apple_Patches Patch Partition         512 @ 704
    6:            Apple_HFS macintosh HD       16404484 @ 1216     (
7.8G)
    7:            Apple_HFS exchange            1536000 @ 16405700
(750.0M)
    8:      Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap              2048 @ 17941700 (
1.0M)
    9:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 home                8192000 @ 17943748 (
3.9G)
   10:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root                8192000 @ 26135748 (
3.9G)
   11:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                1572864 @ 34327748
(768.0M)
   12:           Apple_Free Extra                 15936 @ 35900612 (
7.8M)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=35916548
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1: @ 64 for 23, type=0x1
2: @ 118 for 36, type=0xffff