check gtk version

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 23 08:36:00 2004

Bill, Ben, and Ron:

Warning -- my sarcasm level will be higher than usual in this post:

Bill Fink wrote:
>>>On Tue Jun 22 17:41:01 2004, Ben Buchanan wrote:
>>> How can I check what version of gtk I have installed?
>>
>>  gtk-config --version
>
> This will only work if you have the gtk+-devel RPM installed
> and will not work for gtk2, since they changed to pkg-config.
> For gtk2, assuming you have the gtk2-devel RPM installed, the
> equivalent command would be:
>
>  pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0

<Sarcasm on>

Brilliant! Positively brilliant! Why did the programmers go and change
something as fundamental as version checking? To keep us on our toes?

Before: $ gtk-config --version
Result: either the version information (if GTK is installed) or an error
(if GTK is not installed)

After: $ gtk-config --version
Result: either the version information (a GTK version less than "2" is
installed) or an error (a GTK version greater than or equal to "2" might
or might not be installed, and there is no way to tell, unless you know
the magic word)

My hat is off to the developers and programmers. This is not unlike
emailing a new user his email password.

<Sarcasm off>

Alright, I am certain I offended someone (maybe even myself, of which I
will be uncertain until I get some coffee in me), so apologies are offered.

Best wishes,
Clint
("First the coffee, then the radar.")