A Mac User's Guide to Linux

Leonida yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 24 13:12:30 2004

Clinton MacDonald wrote:
> Does anyone have any hints or anecdotes to share about the migration
> from the Macintosh environment (either the classic OS or Mac OS X) to
> Linux (especially, but not limited to Yellow Dog Linux)?

I'm a Mac user since 1990. My first Mac was IIfx (yet working) with
MacOS 7.2. I pass through OS8, 9 till X. I'm not a developer but I'm
used with traditional end user mac graphic application like QuarkXpress,
AdobePhotshop, Macromedia Flash and Dreamweawer. Till now I thougth that
Mac was the best computer I can ever use despite 90% world user pc.

Recently, due to my ethical point of view, I've decided to use and
promote F/OSS (Free/opensource software) over Mac, but when I get a
glance at it I catch an headache and I feel little depressed.
All Mac usability is lost!

Using Terminal seems to go back to DOS prompt,
all these .hidden file/folder seems to make system control lost and,
last but not least, mac/ppc versions are often one step behind x86.

But freedom has a little price.

I think that migration could be done in 3 steps:

1) Using packaged GNU apps with OSX, easily installed with a double
ckick (Some reviewed at http://freesmug.mine.nu:8200/review/)
Pros: 	Easy to use like all Mac apps.
Cons: 	Few, but you find the most used like Openoffice,
	NeoOffice, Gimp, Mozilla browsers, VNC.
	Not really update, sometime one version behind.

2) Using GNU apps ported via Fink or DarwinPorts projects
running under X11.
Pros:	About more 3000 apps, like Abiword, Bluefish, Sodipodi,
	Xmms, Scribus, KDE, Gnome and many more not packaged for OSX.
Cons:	Little triky to install (first use of Terminal).
	X11 gui.
	You have to wait some days for last version porting.

3) Install GNULinux on your Mac.
Pros:	All GNULinux world under your eyes.
	You start to learn how to became a geek.
	Using distro portage tools to update your packages.
	You can learn how to built your packages.
Cons:	Not easy to insatall.
	PPC distro not the first updated.
	PPC distro portage not first update.

At the end x86 are a little step updated than PPC.
My dream is Mac usability with GNU freedom.

Computers are like cars and software is their fuel.
With GNU fuel you can go everywhere.

Sorry, all this IMHO.
Happy MhAKing.
.L.