YDL Installation Question

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 27 11:59:01 2004

Mr. Bokowski:

Shaun Bokowski wrote:
> I have 60 GB on my G4 ppc. I want to have existing 10.2.4
> jaguar OS and install YDL on it as well. I have 128mb ram.
> How much space do I need for YDL? Do I have to erase
> everything for the partioning?

Welcome aboard!

First off, I would buy more RAM! Yellow Dog Linux will squeak by with
128 MB of RAM, but Mac OS X will be nigh useless. For practical
purposes, Mac OS X needs at least 512 MB of RAM (Yellow Dog Linux would
be very happy at 256 MB).

As for your hard drive, the bad news is that you *will* have to
repartition your drive to install Yellow Dog Linux. Do a back-up first!
Actually, there is a new utility called VolumeWorks:

<http://www.subrosasoft.com/thestore/product_info.php?&products_id=431>

The utility is untested by anyone on this mailing list, so caveat
emptor. Either way, do a backup first!

Here are some more resources (by the way, your PowerBook is a New World
Macintosh):

<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Installing+YDL>
<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Installing+YDL/How+should+I+partition+my+disks%3F>

Good luck!