pbbuttonsd and middle click

R. Hirschfeld yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 2 11:12:01 2004

> From: Stefan Bruda <bruda@cs.ubishops.ca>
> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:07:28 -0500
>
> At 14:30 +0100 on 2004-3-2 R. Hirschfeld wrote:
>  >
>  > > Newer pbbuttonsd (don't know when it all started actually) can act as
>  > > a pmud replacement altogether.  The /etc/pbbuttonsd.conf option is
>  > > `replace_pmud' and should be set to `yes' in order for pbbuttonsd to
>  > > take over the whole power management stuff.
>  >
>  > I tried setting this option and restarting pbbuttonsd, but when I type
>  > "snooze" I get "connect: Connection refused".  Do I need to do
>  > anything more to get pbbuttonsd to take over this pmud functionality?
>
> snooze is a client for pmud, it won't work with pbbuttonsd.  You will
> have to settle for pressing designated keys (configurable from
> powerprefs or directly in /etc/pbbuttonsd.conf) to put your system to
> sleep, as I am not aware of any pbbuttonsd client similar to snooze.
>
> Should anybody publish the application protocol used by pbbuttonsd, a
> client similar to snooze would be trivial to write.  Heck, I am
> volunteering to write it myself should I get hold of the said protocol
> specification.  So, if anybody has such a documentation, bring it on.

Oh, OK.  I mistakenly assumed that "replace_pmud" would also cause
pbbuttonsd to listen to pmud's port and service its requests.

BTW, powerprefs is not included in the pbbuttonsd package.  Is it
available in another YDL package or is downloading and compiling the
source the best way to get it?

>  > > I don't know, but the following works well (and should work in any
>  > > GUI/application configuration): select the text in the terminal,
>  > > switch to Mozilla, point to the URL field, and do a middle click.
>  >
>  > Any hints for how to accomplish this with a single-button ADB mouse?
>
> If you have mouse emulation turned on then you can set keys to do
> middle and right clicks.  Some are probably set for you already, take
> a look at (and change as appropriate) /etc/sysconfig/mouse-emulation
> where the entries and comments are self-explanatory.

Found them on F10 and F11.

>  > In LinuxPPC option-click (instead of middle click) did it but this
>  > doesn't work in YDL, at least not in the default setup.
>
> I would like to have something like this to try, but I am not aware of
> any way of doing it.  As far as I know you can only set up keys for
> middle/right clicks, no real clicks involved.

Although I'd prefer option-click, this is workable if I can train
myself to point but not click.

> The most convenient way to go is probably investing in a three-button
> mouse.  That's how I am doint it, though on the road I find myself in
> the position of using the built-in trackpad and being unhappy about
> the lack of more buttons.

Are three-button mice still available for ADB?

> Rumour has it by the way that the trackpad of newer Powerbooks (and
> probably iBooks) can have software reserved areas in which tapping
> would have a special significance (would it be great to use this for
> middle and right clicks or what), but I have yet to hear about a
> project investigating this.  I would love to see it though (it could
> also be just a rumour...).
>
> Stefan

Thanks for the info!

Ray