pbbuttonsd and middle click

Mike Parson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 2 12:32:00 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 02:04:28PM -0500, Stefan Bruda wrote:
> At 19:15 +0100 on 2004-3-2 R. Hirschfeld wrote:

<snip>

>> Are three-button mice still available for ADB?
>
> Oops, sorry, I did not notice the ADB part...  All I can find at a
> decent price is a two-button mouse, see
>
> http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=149685
>
> If you don't mind a trackball instead, also see
>
> http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=240504
>
> I am not quite sure what are the compatibility issues (if any), my
> machines are legacy-free (no ADB ports) so I had no chance of trying
> any of these mice.
>
> Two buttons as opposed to three is not a huge problem, you could
> simulate middle clicks by pressing simultaneously the two buttons (I
> believe that the stock YDL XF86Config is set up this way).

>From what I've been able to gather, even the two button ADB mice aren't
gonna work the way they do on USB/PS2/non ADB hardware.  The only way to
get a real 3 button mouse on pre-USB Macs is to get a USB card and a USB
mouse.  On this 8500/120 I've got sitting in my cube at work, I've got
a two button ADB mouse, but right-clicking is fruitless, clicking them
both for the 'emulate 3 mouse buttons' is equally worthless.

But all that box does is serve up a few web pages for me to play with,
so I don't worry about mouse functionality.  That box is a YDL 2.3
install, so I guess it could have been fixed in 3.0, but it's not been
worth my time to figure out just yet.

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org