xfce & vnc

peter yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 4 05:41:01 2004

Ah! Finally a good lean, quick desktop environment that isn't sorely
lacking in features! I've got xfce up and running on my PowerCenter
(150MHz PPC 604e, 64MB RAM), and it's really quite nice on such a slow
machine.

One question, I'm trying to set up my machine so that I can start xfce
in a VNC session. For switching between KDE & gnome, all I have to do
is edit .Xclients so that startkde gets run before gnome-session. So I
tried setting it up so that startxfce4 gets executed instead, but when
I connect using a VNC client, all I get is a X11 root window & the X
cursor. Since startxfce4 also checks for whether an X session is
running (by seeing if DISPLAY is set, apparently), I tried having it
skip that check, but still no luck. ideas?

thanks,
peter