Cannot run install disk

Charles Trois yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 4 09:30:01 2004

Hello!

I have run into big trouble with my hard drive.

The partition scheme on my iMac is this:

14 Go unallocated, for Linux
5 Go HFS, for transfers
10 Go HFS+, for Mac OS9
10 Go HFS+, for Mac OS10.

With this setup, I have installed YDL 3.0.1 (more than once) from my own
downloaded ISO, without any trouble.

In my latest session, I ran yum update, and then used Konstruct to
install=A0KDE=A03.2. Everything was going well, when I ran Konstruct again to
install KDevelop 3.0.1. Here, I don't know what happened; I had let the
Konstruct program run, and, when I came back, it had logged out of X. I
could not log in again and I could not reboot. The thing having become
useless, I wanted to reinstall YDL.

The process of booting from the install disk began with "Welcome to Yellow
Dog Linux", but did not get very far, only to the few lines reading
(approximately) "input: USB HID" and then the text got white on blue (like
in Kudzu) and announced

oops: kernel access of bad area, sig:11
and
install exited abnormally - received signal 11

and a few incoherent lines, and nothing.

The message about a "bad area" suggested to me that this was an affair of
bad blocks, so I booted from a MacOS disk and used Disk Setup to wipe out
the hard disk, check it for bad blocks (a very long job) and write the
partitions again.

The result was nil: no change. I may add that choosing the text-install
option did not make any difference, and that an attempt to install YDL 3.0
gave the same result, except that there was no "white on blue" episode (a
different treatment of Kudzu?). The Mac systems are unaffected.

Any suggestions?

Charles