yum update problems

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 5 04:49:01 2004

Hi:
I had recently updated from YDL 3.0 to 3.0.1 via yum using the general
command sequence:
yum update

However ever since then my printer has not been able to print properly
even though everything was fine before the update.  My current guess,I
hope an intelligent guess, is that something in hpijs 1.1 is not getting
along with whatever was updated.  I'm assuming that all mirrors have the
precise same packages otherwise why call them mirrors, so if that
assumption is correct then there is a problem which you should be aware
of.

I notified HP someitme ago and I'm expecting to hear from them today.
Regarding printing the problems include that the CUPS test prints out an
all black page and text or other printout within any YDL dependent
program prints odd characters interspersed with characters which do
appear on web page or a document being worked upon in Open Office or a
command to print being executed from with vi using the hardcopy
command.

Open Office printed one line along the left margin for a one page
document and two centered lines for a two page document.  Using the
hardcopy command to print from within vi/vim produced an all black
output.  Before I was able to get nice precise and clear color-coded
sourcecode.

Has anyone heard of these kind of problems after using yum to update?
I don't have to recompile the kernel after updating with yum, do I?
Looking forward to replies/ideas... Thanks.

Best Wishes... Derick.