Install confusion

Francis X. Maier yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 7 16:05:02 2004

--Apple-Mail-1--537915891

Folks,

1.  I downloaded the source code src-linux-2.4-tss.tar.bz2 from
ppckernel.org to compile a new kernel  for my YDL 3.0.

2.  I unzipped and untarred the code to my /usr/src directory so that I
now have a /usr/src/src-linux-2.4-tss subdirectory.  I also created a
'linux' symlink, but 'linux' was colored red and did not show up as a
directory.  That struck me as a bad omen.

3.  I did a cd into /usr/src/src-linux-2.4-tss,; ran 'make xconfig' and
everything worked well through and including "make modules_install.'
But when I then tried to run 'make install,'   I got this message:
'Make:  ***No rule to make target 'install.' ***  Stop.'

4.  So then I went back to /usr/src and deleted the red-colored symlink
'linux.'  I created a new symlink 'linux.'  This time it is green and
shows up as a directory with subdirectories like arch, vmlinux, etc.

5.  Nonetheless, no matter whether I run 'make install' in the linux
symlink or in the original src--linux-2.4-tss directory, I still get
the 'Make: *** No rule . . . .' message.

I know I'm close.  What am I doing wrong?
--Apple-Mail-1--537915891

[...]

I know I'm close.  What am I doing wrong?</color></fontfamily>
--Apple-Mail-1--537915891--