Install confusion

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 7 20:01:01 2004

Hi.

I assume you already did:

make xconfig dep vmlinux modules modules_install

At 16:10 -0700 on 2004-3-7 Francis X. Maier wrote:

 > But when I then tried to run 'make install,'   I got this message:
 > 'Make:  ***No rule to make target 'install.' ***  Stop.'

Well, there is no such rule as install.  Instead, you should copy
vmlinux and System.map into /boot.  You may want to copy them under
names that append the version at the end, something like this:

cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-2.4.25
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.25

(replace 2.4.25 with whatever is the version of your kernel, look into
Makefile to find out).  Adjust /etc/yaboot.conf accordingly, run ybin,
and you should be in business on the next restart.  Just keep the old,
working kernel around (and a label for it in /etc/yaboot.conf) just in
case the new one does not work.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.