Reverse DNS on Home Network?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 8 16:30:02 2004

Drew Lane wrote:
> I have a caching DNS server setup on my YDL box at 192.168.1.5
>
> I have a Win 2K box on this network and it doesn't seem to want
> to use this DNS server to lookup information.
>
> When I try to use nslookup on the Win 2K machine it says:
>
> "Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.5: Server Failed"
>
> I'm guessing this is a reverse DNS issue but I'm not sure.
> I know that the DNS server is running, however.
>
> Is it possible to configure a reverse DNS entry for an "inside" IP address?
>
> If so, can anyone provide an example?

Enclosed are the relevant files for my DNS system. They have been "sanitised".

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm@local-network.com
I've watched "The Passion". It's the worst version of MacBeth I've ever seen.

File /etc/named.conf:

options
	{
	recursion yes;
	dialup yes;
	directory "/var/named";
	listen-on { x.y.z.1 };
	listen-on { 127.0.0.1; };
	listen-on { a.b.c.1; };
	forwarders {
		1.2.3.4; 5.6.7.8;
		};
	};

zone "local-network.com" in {
	type master;
	file "local-network.com.zone";
	};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
	type master;
	file "reverse-local.zone";
	};
zone "x.y.z.in-addr.arpa" in {
	type master;
	file "z.y.x.in-addr.arpa";
	};
 zone "annex" in  {
       type forward;
       forward only;
       forwarders { a.b.c.1; };
     };
File /var/named/local-network.com.zone

$TTL	86400
@			IN SOA		main main.local-network.com. (
					2003122202 	; serial (
					10M		; refresh
					5M		; retry
					10M		; expiry
					5M )		; minimum

local-network.com.		IN NS		main.local-network.com.
local-network.com.	        IN MX           10              main
main                   IN MX           10              main
			IN PTR		main.
main			IN A		z.y.z.1
www			IN A		z.y.z.1
ns1			IN A		z.y.z.1
router			IN A		z.y.z.1

;
;
;
fred			IN A		z.y.z.21
ethel			IN A		z.y.z.22
lucy			IN A		z.y.z.23
ricky			IN A		z.y.z.24

File /var/named/reverse-local.zone

$TTL	86400
@       IN      SOA     localhost. root.localhost.  (
                                      1997022700 ; Serial
                                      28800      ; Refresh
                                      14400      ; Retry
                                      3600000    ; Expire
                                      86400 )    ; Minimum
              IN      NS      localhost.

1       IN      PTR     localhost.

File /var/named/z.y.x.in-addr.arpa

$TTL	86400
@       IN      SOA     localhost. root.localhost.  (
                                      2003122201 ; Serial
					10M		; refresh
					5M		; retry
					10M		; expiry
					5M )		; minimum
              IN      NS      localhost.

1       IN      PTR     main.local-network.com.
;
21	IN	 PTR	fred.local-network.com.
22	IN	 PTR	ethel.local-network.com.
23	IN	 PTR	lucy.local-network.com.