How to configure WEP with YDL

Ray Auge yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 10 09:49:00 2004

> Please help me.

OK, I will assume that you can configure your Access Point (router) to
use wep and that you are writing down the KEY that your creating during
this configuration. NOTE: that depending on which such Access Point(WAP)
you use the creation of this KEY varies, but they all generate the same
KIND of KEY.

So, write it down. Obviously, at this point your laptop will no longer
connect.

Now, on you laptop, login to a shell/console/command line, whatever you
like to call it, as root ( ]$ su )

Then, ]$ cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

Here there are many files, the only ones we're concerned with are
ifcfg-eth0 and/or ifcfg-eth1.

Determine, through observation, which one is your wireless device (the
file should contain things like ESSID=... , TYPE=Wireless, etc...).

NOTE: you can use, say

]$ kwrite <filename>

to get a graphical editor

Now, make sure that you set ESSID to the same SID or ESSID you used on
your WAP.

Next, make sure that you set KEY to the EXACT same value you wrote down
from your WAP. Here is an example of a working wifi config (ifcfg-eth1)
on a ibook with 128 bit wep enabled.

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
ESSID=<sanitized>
DOMAIN=
NETMASK=
HWADDR=<sanitized>
TYPE=Wireless
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=
CHANNEL=6
MODE=Auto
KEY=<enter the value you wrote down here>
RATE=Auto

NOTE: Not all of these fields are required, just make sure that ESSID,
and KEY are set right, and since your system runs in non-wep all you
should need are those two values.

<sanitized> just means I've edited out any personal detail.

Then do, still as root, but in the console

]$ /sbin/service network restart

you should see only a bunch of line ending in  [OK], if not, then there
is still an error, which might be hardware related.

Try this first then let us know.

Ray Auge <rayauge@doublebite.com> :)

"Anything is more stable than Windows.  Even a relationship based purely
on sex." - Pamela Auge