PPC or i386 ?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 10 09:52:01 2004

Mr. Janssens:

Geert Janssens wrote:
> For completeness sake, I will elaborate a bit on this:
> [... excellent review of source code and programming omitted ...]

Thank you for that incredibly detailed and useful review of programming
and computer languages! I found it very useful in setting my own mind
straight about a number of confusing issues. (I especially liked your
analogy for big-endian versus little-endian, a metaphor that started
with Gulliver's Travels.)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

> On a sidenote, I don't know Java enough to say whether or not endian
> issues can still arise when writing java programs. I assume that these
> issues should be dealt with in the runtime library for each specific
> platform, and thus neither programmer, nor user should be concerned.

Though I am largely ignorant, I believe that Java programs are written
for what is termed a "virtual machine." As such, the virtual machine is
coded to appear to be identical on all platforms (though Microsoft has
tried to work around that with their extensions to Java). Therefore, I
assume the "endianess" taken into account.

Best wishes,
Clint