PPC or i386 ? further question

Kenneth Browne yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 10 15:57:01 2004

Jeroen Zwartepoorte wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> There are no specific ppc or i386 source rpms. A .spec file can only
> specify that it can build packages for i386 or ppc (a kernel rpm for
> example), but source rpms in general can be built for any platforms
> which supports rpms.

I think I know the answer but here goes: RPM stands for Redhat Package
Manager and Yellow Dog Linux is based on Red Hat. That being the case
rpm source files could be compiled for either Linux variety, as well as
Mandrake, and perhaps others????

If that's all true, then could one not get source rpm's from lots of
places and compile them for YDL? Further, *if* there is a perceived
shortage of apps for YDL, would the solution for those who know about
compiling rpms to crank up their machines and compile? I have only the
vaguest notion about what's involved in compiling but would like to
learn some more as soon as I have my Mac/YDL system fully operational.

--
clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA

"Open source is good." - Steve Jobs
  "Open source is evil." - Microsoft