PPC or i386 ? further question

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 10 16:29:01 2004

Building from source RPMs is really easy and I've found that generally
you can take source RPMs and build them for YDL as it is a Redhat based
system.

Where you're likely to run into trouble is dependancies. The source RPM
will have a list of dependancies which must be met before it will
attempt to build and install. Time and again I've found that the app I
wanted wasn't available in the version I wanted. So I get the source
RPM and it won't build because the versions of other packages I have
installed are too old. So I get the source RPMs for the other packages
but they also have unmet dependancies. And so on.