So the kicker is....

Dan Kahmann yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 10 11:19:03 2004

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

Thank you Mr. Janssens , and all of you, for the detailed response .... I take it , then , that
it will be trial and error to find which ones will build on the PPC and which
won't ? Excepting , of course, reccomendations of other PPC Users ~ who
may be kind enough to relate...
So more research is needed before we go off to the wild blue RPMS yonder and
install something we cannot use - and possibly get a relatively error free build, only
to find that our treasured binary fails to execute to some large degree ? ( with all the subtlety
of the infamous "off by one" error ...)
That begs the question ( since I've not learned PPC Assy. since this morning) would it be
less work to edit the existing source to operate on PPC, or just start from scratch ?
I know - it probably is a "depends on" sort of thing, but ya hate to see good (or not so good ?)
code got to waste !?
Also, what about writing additions to the C lib's for PPC to work with the existing incompatibilities,
thus covering it all in a "blanket" style ?

Well , thanks again - I'm going to stick my head back in my "Assembly Language For Dummies ; Power PC's"
book !!

- Dan

Dan Kahmann
dkah197@earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV>Thank you Mr. Janssens , and all of you, for the detailed response .... I take it , then , that </DIV>
<DIV>it will be trial and error to find which ones will build on the PPC and which </DIV>
<DIV>won't ? Excepting , of course, reccomendations of other PPC Users ~ who </DIV>
<DIV>may be kind enough to relate...</DIV>
<DIV>So more research is needed before we go off to the wild blue RPMS yonder and </DIV>
<DIV>install something we cannot use - and possibly get a relatively error free build, only </DIV>
<DIV>to find that our treasured binary fails to execute to some large degree ? ( with all the subtlety</DIV>
<DIV>of the infamous "off by one" error ...)</DIV>
<DIV>That begs the question ( since I've not learned PPC Assy. since this morning) would it be</DIV>
<DIV>less work to edit the existing source to operate on PPC, or just start from scratch ?</DIV>
<DIV>I know - it probably is a "depends on" sort of thing, but ya hate to see good (or not so good ?)</DIV>
<DIV>code got to waste !? </DIV>
<DIV>Also, what about writing additions to the C lib's for PPC to work with the existing incompatibilities, </DIV>
<DIV>thus covering it all in a "blanket" style ? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Well , thanks again - I'm going to stick my head back in my "Assembly Language For Dummies ; Power PC's"</DIV>
<DIV>book !! </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>- Dan</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>