PPC or i386 (the hits keep on comin')

Dan Kahmann yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 10 22:24:01 2004

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

Gentlemen (if the shoe fits, wear it),

It's been an interesting and most enlightening dicussion today regarding this
particular issue....
I have used various versions of Linux since 1996, when I was first exposed to it,
and this issue of portability and dependencies has always plagued it. I still use
it , and have been able to successfully use it thru the course of buisness , so there's
alot there to be thankful for ..( I've **NEVER** purchased a copy of windows) :)
People like those gathered here will be the ones to put the icing on the Penguin....so
let us not ever lose faith - but continue to push this into the next generation ...

On another note..

>Time and again I've found that the app I
>wanted wasn't available in the version I wanted. So I get the source
>RPM and it won't build because the versions of other packages I have
>installed are too old. So I get the source RPMs for the other packages
>but they also have unmet dependancies. And so on.

----> Mr. Hamilton is not alone on this one, and neither is YDL or BSD or MANDRAKE ...etc..
         perhaps what we really need is an RDM to go with the RPM .... (RedHat DEPENDANCY
         Manager)
.... but correct me if I'm wrong here.  - is this not the same protability issue, only occurring between
     different versions instead of different systems >?

.. and really, does MS have the rights to ".net" ? (probly' as much as George Lucas has the rights to
    the concept of space, right ?) ... next will they say it wasn't really Al Gore who invented the Internet,
    but MS ?

........................ lost in space .... (sorry Mr. Lucas) .. and it's bed time, so I'll pick this up again tomorrow...
g'night all..

Dan Kahmann
dkah197@earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV>Gentlemen (if the shoe fits, wear it),</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It's been an interesting and most enlightening dicussion today regarding this</DIV>
<DIV>particular issue.... </DIV>
<DIV>I have used various versions of Linux since 1996, when I was first exposed to it, </DIV>
<DIV>and this issue of portability and dependencies has always plagued it. I still use </DIV>
<DIV>it , and have been able to successfully use it thru the course of buisness , so there's </DIV>
<DIV>alot there to be thankful for ..( I've **NEVER**&nbsp;purchased a copy of windows) :)</DIV>
<DIV>People like those gathered here will be the ones to put the icing on the Penguin....so</DIV>
<DIV>let us not ever lose faith - but continue to push this into the next generation ... </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>On another note..</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;Time and again I've found that the app I
<DIV>&gt;wanted wasn't available in the version I wanted. So I get the source </DIV>
<DIV>&gt;RPM and it won't build because the versions of other packages I have </DIV>
<DIV>&gt;installed are too old. So I get the source RPMs for the other packages </DIV>
<DIV>&gt;but they also have unmet dependancies. And so on.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>----&gt; Mr. Hamilton is not alone on this one, and neither is YDL or BSD or MANDRAKE ...etc..</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; perhaps what we really need is an RDM to go with the RPM .... (RedHat DEPENDANCY</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Manager)</DIV>
<DIV>.... but correct me if I'm wrong here.&nbsp; - is&nbsp;this not&nbsp;the same protability issue, only occurring between</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; different versions instead of different systems &gt;?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>.. and really, does MS have the rights to ".net" ? (probly' as much as George Lucas has the rights to </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; the concept of space, right ?) ... next will they say it wasn't really Al Gore who invented the Internet, </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; but MS ? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>........................ lost in space .... (sorry Mr. Lucas) .. and it's bed time, so I'll pick this up again tomorrow...</DIV>
<DIV>g'night all..</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>