Audacity on ibook2...

Ray Auge yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 11 14:49:01 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 16:00, jw100199@ohio.edu wrote:
> I installed audacity and it seems to be all good.  All except when I run it, it
> tries to initialize dmasound for recording, which causes it to crap all over
> itself (no sound output untill the machine is rebooted).  Does anyone know a

I really liked audacity when I tried it, but the first thing I noticed
is that it's not compiled with arts support by default (hence the
error).

First try

]$ artsdsp audacity

that starts it under an umbrella that takes any dsp output and pipe it
back to arts.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to recompile it. It's not a difficult
one.

You can even get the latest source and get some of the newer features,
like direct mp3 support, etc...

About the dependancies, the list is not long and most are actually in
the YDL3.0.1 distro 'cept they may need to be installed.

Just do your typical

./configure --<whatever_the_arts_flag_is>; make; su -c "make install"

BUT, if it complains then you're missing a dep, just do a

]$ yum provides *<complained_about_file_or_lib>*

PS: when search the provides, don't forget the '*', the search will find
many more things.

then install that, and try again.

If I recal it only took about 15-20 mins to get it all right.

Good Luck.