dma sound module

Kenneth Browne yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 12 20:24:00 2004

Joerg Schloemer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I didn't have sound either on my Pulsar S900. After searching the
> internet for a while, I found a solution that worked for me on:
> http://www.miketec.org/ibook/ .
> Under /etc/ I created a directory called modultils and then created a
> file "sound" with the following:
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 dmasound_pmac
> alias char-major-14-3 dmasound_pmac
> alias /dev/dsp dmasound_pmac
> alias sound-service-0-0 i2c-keywest
> alias char-major-14-0 i2c-keywest
> alias /dev/mixer i2c-keywest
>
> I changed the file /etc/modules.conf also with the lines above.
> After that it was necessary for me to change the privileges for
> /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp because there was an error message telling me
> that I don't have the privileges to change settings.
> Maybe there is a better or easier solution somewhere.
>
> Joerg

I hope so. ;-0
In a message from comp.os.linux.powerpc It seems to suggest that my
sound problem may be that the sound module never got installed. Fixing
it I'm told to reinstall the kernel (or recompile) with appropriate
configuration settings. Sounds good, but how do you do it?

--
clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA

I picked this tagline up after it fell off a truck.