CD player (read) question for PB G4 644

Steve Milov yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 15 20:29:01 2004

They seem to read just fine.  I just tried to read a
CD and recieved this message.

When I try to read the CD in OSX, the CD sounds like
it spins up to a high speed first and then starts to
read the CD.  Whereas under Linux it sounds like the
CD will try to read first. Then depending on what
information the head gets will determine whether the
CD will be spun up to a higher speed or not.

Does that make sense?

I have problems burning CD's also, but I suspect thats
a whole different matter.  Basically when I burn under
OSX I can see the tracks burned into the CD.  Under
Linux its as if the laser isnt getting enough juice to
burn into the medium.  The tracks appear faint, they
are there but they are faint.

It sounds like the code for the CD driver just needs a
little tweaking.

Steve M

do the CDs read ok on the same machine booted into
another OS?

On Mar 15, 2004, at 1:38 PM, Steve Milov wrote:

> Greetings, I'm running YDL3.0 when I instert a CD to
> play it will thrash a few times and if something
> inside decides to read the CD it will.
> Before you ask, whichever CD I insert it may have
some
> scratches or it may not.  But when I take that same
CD
> and run it on a win98 or OSX or an x86 Linux machine
> for that matter the CD will get read.
>
> This is really an important issue I need to resolve
> because the CDROM is a pretty important device on a
> laptop. Oddly I was able to install YDL via the CD
but
> when I put in something else the CD may or may not
get