simple networking question

Russell McManus yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 16 08:01:01 2004

Atro Tossavainen <Atro.Tossavainen+ydl@helsinki.fi> writes:

>> eth0: MACE at ..., chip revision 25.64
>> eth1: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 48 ...
>>
>> I want to use eth1 for networking.  I don't care about eth0 for now.
>> I bring up eth1 with:
>>
>>   ifconfig eth1 up
>>   ifconfig eth1
>>
>> This shows that the interface is up and running.
>>
>> Now I do 'dhclient eth1', which fails.  Packets never seem to hit the
>> network.
>
> Three things come to mind.
>
> I seem to remember that some DHCP clients barf if they are not on the
> first interface.  IIRC I was unable to get "pump" (the old Red Hat
> DHCP client) to get an address on eth1 if eth0 already had an address,
> and that this was the case even when eth0 was visible but otherwise
> unconfigured.  Just to be sure, build the network card drivers as
> modules and load them in a different order so that your Tulip becomes
> eth0 instead.

I will simply try eth0 and see if that works.  Then I will try
assigning an IP address manually, and then adding a default route.  It
was late last night, I should have tried this before posting.

> dhclient also requires that "Socket filtering" be enabled in the kernel.
> This was news to me, at least, and when I upgraded from Red Hat 6.2 to
> Fedora Core 1 (RH62 used pump which didn't need it, FC1 uses dhclient)
> and built my own custom kernel, I failed to get the network to work
> because of this.  The only program I've seen require socket filtering
> before is the ISC DHCP _server_.  If you didn't build your own kernel,
> this is probably not the issue you're hitting.

I am using the kernel on the CD, so I guess I am OK with this.

> What are you trying to connect to?  I had a Tulip card in my Alpha, and
> it just would not talk to the Motorola cable modem I had at home at the
> time.  I had to install a different brand of network card to get things
> to work.  At work, the Tulip had no problems whatsoever.

I am trying to connect to my home network.  There is a dhcp server on
the network which works for other machines.  I've had netbsd installed
on this box before, and the tulip cared worked fine, so I know that
the card works OK in this network.

>> So now I try to add a default route.  Every route command exits with:
>
> Well, if you don't have an IP address, how do you think you could add
> a route?
>
>> "SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable"
>
> Exactly.  At any rate, you shouldn't need to add routes as the DHCP
> server would provide the necessary information to dhclient anyway.

Of course.  Thanks for the assistance.

-russ