simple networking question

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 16 02:48:01 2004

Russ,

> eth0: MACE at ..., chip revision 25.64
> eth1: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 48 ...
>
> I want to use eth1 for networking.  I don't care about eth0 for now.
> I bring up eth1 with:
>
>   ifconfig eth1 up
>   ifconfig eth1
>
> This shows that the interface is up and running.
>
> Now I do 'dhclient eth1', which fails.  Packets never seem to hit the
> network.

Three things come to mind.

I seem to remember that some DHCP clients barf if they are not on the
first interface.  IIRC I was unable to get "pump" (the old Red Hat
DHCP client) to get an address on eth1 if eth0 already had an address,
and that this was the case even when eth0 was visible but otherwise
unconfigured.  Just to be sure, build the network card drivers as
modules and load them in a different order so that your Tulip becomes
eth0 instead.

dhclient also requires that "Socket filtering" be enabled in the kernel.
This was news to me, at least, and when I upgraded from Red Hat 6.2 to
Fedora Core 1 (RH62 used pump which didn't need it, FC1 uses dhclient)
and built my own custom kernel, I failed to get the network to work
because of this.  The only program I've seen require socket filtering
before is the ISC DHCP _server_.  If you didn't build your own kernel,
this is probably not the issue you're hitting.

What are you trying to connect to?  I had a Tulip card in my Alpha, and
it just would not talk to the Motorola cable modem I had at home at the
time.  I had to install a different brand of network card to get things
to work.  At work, the Tulip had no problems whatsoever.

> So now I try to add a default route.  Every route command exits with:

Well, if you don't have an IP address, how do you think you could add
a route?

> "SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable"

Exactly.

At any rate, you shouldn't need to add routes as the DHCP server would
provide the necessary information to dhclient anyway.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,