question concerning ABD to PC or USB converter KVM switch

Brian Barr yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 16 08:47:01 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:10:04 -0700 (MST)
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

> I am trying to setup two vintage powermacs and a new dell all on the
> same kvm and am using your guide
> (http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-January/011446.html)
> as a model. However, I am having trouble locating what you referred to
> as a  PS/2 to ADB Converter Box. Doy you simply mean a PS/2 to ADB
> adapter? And how many do I need to connect two powermacs, 2 or 4 of
> these 'converter boxes'? I would be very greatful  if you would inform
> me of the product  name and specifications.

This is another answer:  don't buy anything.  Assuming that they will all be running Linux, with an X server of some flavor, check out 'x2x', it's basically a software KVM switch.

I use a version for Mac OS X, call 'osx2x', which allows my USB keyboard and mouse attached to my Windtunnel G4 to type this message on my RH box.

Not sure if there is a similar utility to run on a Win?? machine (in case you are running some version of Windows on one of the Dells...)