Apache woes

Ray Auge yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 16 11:29:01 2004

I have a very simple solution, run this sequence of commands (as root)

]$ yum remove apache         # un-installs apache if installed
]$ rm -rf /etc/httpd/conf    # deletes all the config files
]$ yum install apache        # installs apache, re-writes configs
]$ /sbin/service httpd start # starts the default server

at this point you should be able to do

http://localhost

from any local browser and see the default page, If that works then from
any machine on a well configured network do

http://<ip_of_apache_machine>

you should see the default page of the webserver

from there on you should be able to either as root, write your webpages
to /var/www/html

or (the better approach), make a directory somewhere your user account
has access, then edit the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

DocumentRoot "<the_path_to_that_dir>"

then do

]$ /sbin/service httpd restart

you should be all set to go. just edit the files in that dir for your
site.

PS: to start apache all the time when booting do (as root)

]$ chkconfig --add httpd