ydl 3.0 fails install, "cannot open display"

blitzen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 19 08:36:01 2004

Greetings all,

I've got a properly partitioned 10gig drive, the first being
"unallocated" and the second being "Mac OS Standard" as described in the
ydl install guide.

The machine is a Ppc 6400/200, the monitor is an App,le and tho' i don't
have all the internal driver/hardware/other details at hand at the
moment, stuff generally works well and doesn't choke at 1024x768 or when
running multiple tasks.

So the Mac side works fine.  I've got YDL 3.0 on three CD's and have
booted into #1 and moved the ramdisk, kernel images, etc. to their
proper folders and saw my buddy Tux when i invoked the boot loader from
Control Panel/BootX.

Checked that i was loading the boot image and the correct
(only!) ramdisk and sent it off to install YDL.

It looked good for a while.  Ran the loader, started anaconda, probed
for and found my video card, monitor, mouse, etc, and started the X
server successfully.  Then this:

(mini-wm:60): GtK-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 542, in ?
    from splashscreen import SplashScreenShow
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/splashscreen.py", line 20, in ?
     import gtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/_init_.py", line
43, in ?
     from _gtk import *

RunTimeError: could not open display.
Install exited abnormally

So my question is, WTF?  Basically i'm surprised to see X and python and
gtk even getting involved at this stage of an installation, but there it
is.  Can anyone offer any advice or ask questions that would lead to gmy
etting a clean install over here?  Thanx,

jas