[OT] Pegasos PPC

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 19 20:33:04 2004

I know this will sound blasphemous to some but I was never really a
big Mac fan as I learned my way around computers.  Oregon trail and
Lemonade stand didn't do it for me and my first real experience with
pooters was all command line Unix stuff.  As peecee's became the norm
I often wondered why a 16Mhz SGI workstation running linux worked so
much better than a 500Mhz PC with 512MB of ram running windoze.  I
know that is comparing apples to oranges now, but at the time it made
me wonder.  I became a hardcore Linux geek and became fascinated with
making 200Mhz PII's run much better than my 1Ghz box at work.  That's
when I ran across YDL.  I didn't have a mac to try it out on and this
is way before Live bootable CD's  Macintosh hardware just plain costs
too much $$$$.   Finally, I happened upon some really cheap mac
stuff, all old world at a garage sale and tried YDL.  I really liked
it, yes it has it's drawbacks, ie rpm's that are older than the
hardware I run them on.  BUT My 6500/250 box maxed out on ram runs
circles around the 2.6 Ghz windoze box at work.  So being naive about
MAC hardware I thought if I could just buy all the components
separately ala the PC market I could build a really cheap box,
hahahahaha!  To try and wrap this up, has anyone bought a Pegasos PPC
- http://www.pegasosppc.com/ they basically make PPC machines rather
cheap I might add http://www.ultraspec.us/pegasos.htm

So has anyone on the list bought one of these?  They appear to be PPC
scorchers at a reasonable price.  Even a fully loaded custom box is
$1500.US.

Any input from this list would be highly appreciated!

Norberto Quintanar
--http://www.geocities.com/nquintanar