The 'at' sign on my PowerBook

Brian Barr yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 20 09:04:01 2004

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:42:04 -0700 (MST)
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

> >Only thing I cannot get to work is to map the keyboard properly. Considering
> >that YDL is a Mac distro, why do we have dozens of PC keyboard models in the
> >Keyboard Layout panel of the Control Center? Is there a trick to get the 'at'
> >sign in the proper place, rather than as on a PC keyboard, where it is placed
> >above the single quote? At the moment, the double quote is obtained by
> >pressing Shift-2 and the 'at' sign by pressing Shift-".
> >
> >Any idea?
>
> Well, judging by the lack of any reply I must assume it is only me
> having this problem (I guess most people in the world nowadays have
> to type the @ sign on a daily basis).
>
> It is not a big deal, but somehow having to pretend to be using a PC
> keyboard is not a great feeling :-0
>
> Paolo

I think that 'xmodmap' provides that functionality.
http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/xmodmap.1.html

Also looking at the output of 'man -k keyboard' revealed that 'loadkeys' might
be useful.

That's just from a quick search, for some reason my keyboards are not in need of remapping,
so I don't have any first hand experience with either approach.

Good luck.