getting cups to work on yellowdog

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 20 10:05:03 2004

This is a repost of an old message on getting cups to work on yellowdog.
I hope it helps.

This is part 1, with the instructions, I'll also forward part with sample
files.

Charles Trois wrote:
> I cannot get printing done on my Epson 740: when I ask for a job, it is said
> to be transmitted to the printer, and it appears on the list of terminated
> jobs, but nothing gets done.

I've feel  that redhat's CUPS support is not very good. It's much easier to
use the foomatic drivers from www.linuxprinting.org.

You download the drivers and ppd for your printer and install them as
documented on the site. I found that the easiest way was to:

1, Install foomatic-rip and and foomatic-gswrapper.
   **** Note, I forgot to say in the original post to make them executable:
	"chmod 755 footmatic*"

2. Install the printer using the standard drivers via the http interface*.

3. Replace the ppd with the one from linux printing. For example if your
   printer is named fred, and you downloaded the EPSON-740.ppd from
   linuxprinting, then you cp EPSON-740.ppd /etc/cups/ppd/fred.ppd

   paper size, resolution, etc.

I have several printers defined for my Epson and HP inkjets depending
upon the resolution I want to print at.

Be careful using the redhat printer config scripts. They rewrite the cupsd.conf
file from scratch and remove any changes you may make to it.

* The cups http interface is at http://localhost:631

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm@mendelson.com
I've watched "The Passion". It's the worst version of MacBeth I've ever seen.