help booting CD ROM ... over and over...

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 20 18:49:00 2004

--- Dan Kahmann <dkah197@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Gentlemen , (...if the shoe fits, wear it)
>
> I see many many posts reference people having problems booting the
> YDL CD.
> As I was,
> at one point, one of those ppl, I know where they are coming
> from... YDL
> was actually my first
> "real" experience with Macs.. Aside from the occasional Oregon
> Trail , or a
> peek over someones shoulders..
> while they were busy clicking away - suffice to say , I knew that
> MAC was
> from Apple, and different
> from Intel/IBM compatibles in a hardware fashion - but that was
> about the
> extent of my "MAC ATTACK"
> .... what I did discover was that the boot process was weird - I
> attacked
> it thinking that it shouldn't be too hard to figure out - which was
> mistake... To make a long story short - I see these posts all the
> time now
> and it makes me wonder if anyone has told YDL that they should put
> the info
> about this on their web site in an EASY to find location... so that
> all
> these poor folks having the same problem could get it resolved
> quickly..
>  - -- I know, RTFM , right ? But then again , we all know better !
>
> Take Care !
> Dan K

Dan,

I'm more of a STFW person.  but agree with you that if YDL wanted
their market share to go up against the other PPC distros they would
make a better install guide.  Which makes me wonder if they do want a
bigger market share.

One difference I've noticed about PC ppl and Mac ppl is that PC ppl
are used to having things not work.  BSOD's, crashes, and lockups are
a way of life.  There was even a time when everyone would say, "When
in doubt reboot!"  Mac ppl are used to having things work seamlessly,
for the most part.  I understand from googling that OS 8.5 was a real
waste of bytes, but for the most part Mac hardware and its
accompanied software works really well.  Watch any mac user with a
digital "anything" connect it to a mac, seamless.  Try THAT on a PC!
First you have to load drivers, then reboot, then hope it gets
recognized.  If not check to see if the firmwares are compatible,
etc... ad nauseum.  Which leads me to linux in general.  People who
learned linux before "discovering" macs seem used to "hacking" their
hardware, software and installs.  Whereas linux newbies whose main
platform has been PPC have a hard time.  I agree with you that this
problem could be solved if the install manual were written better.
But then again it's free...

Norberto Quintanar
--http://www.geocities.com/nquintanar

=====
--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar