Mac OS X

Konstantin Ryabitsev yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 21 16:34:01 2004

--------------enig4821F79B9B7951254F0DA199

Clinton MacDonald wrote:

> Could you be more specific? Do you, for instance, object to Apple's
> license terms for Mac OS X? What about licensing for the Darwin project?

Licensing is the reason why I have advised Duke University not to switch
from Windows to Mac OS X.

If you read the license terms of OS X, it states very clearly that you
can only use OS X on Apple hardware, and therefore you effectively
vendor-lock yourself into Apple products. This is worse than Windows by
a long shot -- if you don't like one hardware vendor, you can always
switch to another and still run Windows. With OS X, you are *FOREVER*
stuck with Apple, unless you choose to move away from OS X.

Apple licensing is bad for business.

I don't see why any sane person would use Darwin. It's not a very good
implementation of Unix.

Regards,
--
Konstantin ("Icon") Ryabitsev