[Off topic] Re: Mac OS X

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 21 20:35:01 2004

Mr. Ryabitsev:

[The following constitutes a bit of a Mac-vs.-PC flame war, and I advise
anyone who is not interested in such diatribes to ignore this post. I
also ask Mr. Ryabitsev not to take my invective personally -- I can't
resist a good fight!]

Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Clinton MacDonald wrote:
>> Do you, for instance, object to Apple's
>> license terms for Mac OS X? What about
>> licensing for the Darwin project?
>
> If you read the license terms of OS X, it states very
> clearly that you can only use OS X on Apple hardware,
> and therefore you effectively vendor-lock yourself into
> Apple products.

Your argument doesn't make any sense to me.

I do not have the license in front of me, but I will concede that it
says you can only use the OS on Apple hardware. Ignoring, for the
moment, that no other vendor makes Mac OS X-compatible CPUs (and
ignoring that this license would be difficult to enforce), how is this a
hardship? Apple makes fine -- though expensive -- hardware that is tuned
to run Mac OS X, and Mac OS X is tuned to run on that hardware only. One
of the major reasons one would choose Apple's hardware and software
solution is for the high degree of compatibility and integration that
entails. If that is not an issue for the buyer, then there are many
other solutions available (including Linux on various Intel- and
AMD-based PC computers).

One should choose one's operating system based on which programs one
wants to run, not on which hardware one might someday want to run the
programs on. Seriously, I use this argument all the time. For instance,
if the only programs a computer buyer will ever run are the Microsoft
Office applications (in, say, a secretarial setting), then I advise the
buyer to purchase the Microsoft operating system on compatible PC
hardware. However, if the buyer wants to use a larger range of products
(say, a Web designer using BBEdit, Adobe Photoshop, several Web
browsers, a nice e-mail client, calendar and and address book PIM
synchronization, an open source database, and two or three Linux-based
applications; or a molecular biologist using all those tools and several
more specialized gene sequencing and annotating applications), I advise
him or her to buy a Mac (and lots of RAM! :-) ). Those are the tools I
use, and I have most of them open all the time.

> This is worse than Windows by a long shot -- if you
> don't like one hardware vendor, you can always switch
> to another and still run Windows. With OS X, you are
> *FOREVER* stuck with Apple, unless you choose to move
> away from OS X.

Are you *really* saying that Windows licensing is better than Apple's? I
also do not have the Windows license in front of me. However, I think
that the product activation scheme that Microsoft has instituted is far
more restrictive than Apple's unenforced (and cheaper) OS licensing.
Once Windows XP has been "activated," for instance, can one really
transfer the license to another PC? I thought that the product
activation prevented doing that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

> Apple licensing is bad for business.

I am not sure what you mean by that statement -- Apple's licensing
certainly hasn't harmed my "business" (or research and educational
endeavors). The hardware is more expensive initially, but I find that
its longevity more than makes up for that.

> I don't see why any sane person would use Darwin. It's not a very good
> implementation of Unix.

I don't know very much about Darwin, but I imagine you are right. I know
that Darwin has not soared in popularity amongst the Open Source crowd,
and that probably means that it is not a very good version of Unix. One
*can* run X Windows on it, but I agree with you that there is no very
good reason to do so.

On the other hand, I don't believe that Microsoft has (intentionally, at
least :-) ) contributed any of their operating system code to the Open
Source community. Apple is doing the right thing with the Darwin version
of BSD, as far as I know, and is also contributing heavily to other
important technologies (like the KHTML base of Konqueror and Rendezvous
for network discovery).

Do I wish that Apple's PowerMacs were cheaper? Sure I do: I wish they
were FREE, but that seems unreasonable. Do I think that Apple could use
some competition in its market? Actually, Apple has incredible amounts
of competition form all the Wintel and Linux PCs on the market today. Do
I wish that other companies made Mac OS X-compatible hardware? I'm not
so sure.... If driving the profit out of the hardware side of their
market drove Apple out of business, I would be unable to get *any* Mac
OS X products. So, I will have to say, "No."

Apple's job in the market is to create new and innovative hardware and
software, and to keep creating it so that it is always a few steps ahead
of the rest of the PC market. Just as innovations made by BMW and other
high-end automobile manufacturers (innovations like air-bags, anti-lock
brakes, etc.) eventually make their way to less expensive vehicles, so
do innovations first brought to market by Apple (windowing operating
systems, mice, WYSIWYG word processing, wireless networking, printer
discovery, USB, Firewire, the iPod; heck, even Microsoft Word and Excel
started on the Mac!) become mainstream in the PC world. Not everyone
wants to purchase a Mac, just as not everyone wants to purchase a BMW.
There is enough variety to keep everyone happy in the computing world.

Good night!

Best wishes,
Clint