Wireless LAN question

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 22 14:09:01 2004

> Subject: Wireless LAN question
>

> I'm running a D-Link wireless DWL-122 USB card on my YDL 3.0 iMac.
>
> Per installation instructions, I compiled a new kernel, then installed
> the linux-wlan-ng driver.  It works great; in fact, it works
> much better
> than the card's commercially provided OSX driver.
>
> One hitch though: every time I reboot, I have to reenter the IP
> configuration again:
>
> ifconfig wlan0 65.101.242.XX netmask 255.255.255.248
> route add -net default gw 65.101.242.XX
>
> I've been told I can edit the network configuration so that the card
> comes on automatically when I reboot.
>
> That means I need to edit one of the files in
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
>
> But which of the files do I edit, and what exactly do I do??

Francis,

Make for yourself a file "ifcfg-wlan0" and put it in the above directory.

The file should look like this:

DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=65.101.242.XX
NETMASK=255.255.255.248

you can also add BROADCAST and NETWORK addresses, but why the linux ethernet
interface can't figure this out for itself, I've never understood. You can
also add GATEWAY, too, to get rid of your route statement.

HTH,

Bill