gentoo

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 22 14:40:02 2004

> Subject: gentoo
>

> Hello everyone
> I just went to the gentoo website and printed out the manual
> on how to
> install and configure gentoo linux.
>
> Whew!
> That manual is the size of a pretty good book!
> I was thinking of trying to install it on my oldworld mac,but I don't
> know now.
> I know some about linux but I don't think I can tackle that.
> I 'm not that much of a geek!

Gentoo, IMNSHO, is best if you've had a distro or two under your belt and
you've got a good internet connection! And especially on an OldWorld, you're
in for some frustrating times. You've basically got to score >8 on the geek
scale, >9 on the frustration resistance scale and you'll need a fridge full
of highly caffeinated cola capsules.

If the above are true and you also score <5 on the spousal "Call to Duty"
scale, you should plan your time according to this basic schedule:

1 - 1 day - screwing with your emerge stages. If you have a tiny little wire
between you and the internet, and still feel you *have* to try gentoo, use
the pre-compiled version for PPC. It will save you lots and they are good
compile settings.

2 - 2 weeks - emerging the stuff you didn't install but you use lots.

3 - emerging more stuff that is nice to have. You find these over the course
of a month or two.

Also, figure on several days a quarter for recompiles if you want to stay up
to date. I did "emerge world" on my dual Xeon after three months of not
doing it and it compiled for most of a day.